We’re Open! Strawberry Picking Tips
We are officially open!
The weather is hot and our strawberries are exploding at each of our three locations (addresses below). We anticipate a short picking season (about 3 weeks) due to extreme cold weather followed immediately by extreme warm weather so join us as soon as possible to enjoy our tasty berries!
We want to ensure you have the best experience possible when visiting our farms. Below are a few tips for before, during, and after your trip!
Before you leave the house:
- Check our Facebook page or dial our strawberry hotline (540) 751-1782 for real-time updates on field conditions
- Dress children in red or dark colored clothing to allow for inevitable berry juice stains
- Wear proper footwear for walking through our bumpy fields
- Please leave your dog at home as they are not allowed within the field for health and safety reasons
- Consider bringing a cooler to keep your berries fresh on the ride home
- We have a limited number of picnic tables or bring a blanket to enjoy the strawberries after picking
- There is no entrance fee to visit any of our locations! You will only pay for what you pick. We accept all forms of payment including checks, cash, and credit card (Visa and MasterCard)
While at the field:
- Parking is ample at all of our locations
- When you arrive you will receive a bucket, a small flag, and instructions on where and how to pick berries from our strawberry patch team members
- Please respect all signage and farm team members. Your safety is our first concern!
- Please watch children to make sure they do not step on plants or wander off
- Have fun!
Once you get home:
- Your strawberries will last longest if you keep them in a cool place. If you will not eat them within two days, put them in the refrigerator. The variety we grow is meant to have a shelf life of about 5 days.
- Visit us here on our blog in the coming weeks for strawberry recipe ideas that we know you’ll love!
- We’d love to see photos of your family picking strawberries and enjoying them! Share them and tag us on Facebook and Instagram with #wegmeyerfarms
Choose From Our Three U-Pick Locations:
- Hamilton – The Home Farm (38299 Hughesville Road) – Drive down an old gravel road to reach our picturesque farmstead with strawberries planted on a beautiful hillside field.
- Oatlands Plantation (Little Oatlands Lane, Leesburg 20175 on Route 15) – Just a few miles south of Leesburg on Route 15, Oatlands Plantation has large, bountiful field of strawberries. While there take in the sights of this historic mansion and property with a hayride and mansion tour.
- Gilberts Corner (39958 John Mosby Highway, Aldie at Route 15 and Route 50 intersection) – At the intersection of Route 15 and Route 50, Gilberts Corner is easy to find with a convenient location. Gilberts Corner also has pre-picked strawberries for sale daily.